Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Flickering Lamp



Winston Churchill once said: "History with its flickering lamp stumbles along the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days."  As I research people, events, and objects from the past that interest me, I feel much like Churchill's intrepid explorer, delving into a dark abyss with only a few clues as my guide, hoping to uncover the truth and majesty of days long gone.  It is with this spirit of exploration that I begin this blog, where I plan to record many of the interesting and unique stories of history that I have unearthed through my research and life experiences--from discussing some of the most over-the-top literary hoaxes in American history (and their legal repercussions) to exploring topics grounded more squarely in history books--such as various aspects of the American Civil War and World War II.  I hope you will join me as I continue this journey through books, archives, travel, and conducting interviews, seeking to cast light on issues long forgotten.  

No comments:

Post a Comment