Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Story Behind a World War II Army Air Force Scarf

One benefit of being the only person in my family who has any inclination to study history is that when my parents find old things in their home (thankfully, they are in the midst of spring cleaning), I am the first person they think of when they want to get rid of things (which may someday become problematic, as I live in Manhattan, where apartments are small and storage is smaller).  Recently, my mother found this old scarf, with the words "Army Air Force" embroidered onto it, along with a star with yellow wings.



My initial guess was that the scarf probably belonged to my uncle--he was in the army air force during World War II--in fact, here's a photo of his Certificate of Meritorious Service: 



It initially seemed this scarf was not shrouded in mystery.  But, what use did this scarf have for an air force serviceman?  Would he wear it around the base?  It's too big to be tucked comfortably in a breast pocket.  It feels silky (and is huge--it's about 29 inches by 32 inches), so probably not a handkerchief.  Hmmmm.



After looking around the internet for clues, I discovered that my instincts were a bit off.  The scarf, which was made by the Beau Brummell Company, was intended for a serviceman's wife or girlfriend.  As her sweetheart was off fighting or training, she could proudly wear her scarf as a sign of support and patriotism.  The scarf came with suggestions on how to wear it--as a sash, a "demure hood tied under the chin," a cowl collar with the insignia in front, tied in "cap fashion," or "peasantwise" with the insignia in the back.



Although I am not interested in wearing it, if I were, my legal side would be concerned about ending up on the wrong side of the Stolen Valor Act of 2005.  This law generally prohibits an unauthorized person from wearing military medals or decorations.  Specifically, it provides that "[w]hoever knowingly wears . . . any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges, . . . or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."  See 18 U.S.C. section 704.  Is this a regulation scarf?  I have no idea.  Besides, the real enjoyment this scarf provides me is envisioning my aunt wearing this scarf seventy years ago (and I am rather sure she did, since the scarf is tattered and has a few small holes), as my uncle was off fighting in World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment